Although stress does not cause psoriasis, researchers have observed that the inflammatory reaction of the body to stress can trigger flares. Furthermore, if lesions occur in highly visible places, you may become concerned about your appearance, which contributes to tension and anxiety. This can often turn into a vicious cycle because stress itself can worsen psoriasis symptoms.
So, how do you avoid stress when having psoriasis itself can be stressful?
Try to find effective ways to reduce stress such as meditating, getting adequate sleep, exercising regularly, talking to a therapist or participating in patient support groups/forums.
Finally, identifying the stress factors that triggered previous flares can also help you not only to avoid them in future situations, but to also deal with them in a better way.
- National Psoriasis Foundation. 13 ways to stress less and live more. Available at: https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/13-ways-to-stress-less-live-more. Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- Everyday Health. [Internet]. Adopting these healthy habits can go a long way in reducing your risk for psoriasis complications and feeling better overall. Available at: https://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/psoriasis-treatment-management/live-better/. Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- Health [Internet]. 10 tips for living better with Psoriatic Arthritis. Available at: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20484082,00.html#how-to-cope-with-psoriatic-arthritis. Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- Psoriasis Speaks. [Internet]. Diet, Exercise, and Stress. Available at: https://www.psoriasis.com/LIVING-WITH-PSORIASIS. Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- Healthine [Internet]. Psoriasis Prevention. Available at: https://www.healthline.com/health/psoriasis-prevention. Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- Prevention [Internet]. 16 Natural Ways to Beat Psoriasis. Available at: https://www.prevention.com/beauty/skin-care/a20464024/beat-psoriasis-with-expert-advice/. Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- Health Central. [Internet]. How to live well with psoriasis. Available at: http://www.healthcentral.com/slideshow/top-10-ways-to-live-with-psoriasis#slide=1. Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- NHS choices. [Internet]. Psoriasis- Living with. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Psoriasis/Pages/Livingwith.aspx. Accessed: 27/06/2018.