Regular exercise and a healthy diet are recommended for everyone, not just for psoriasis patients, to maintain a healthy weight and prevent possible health problems.
Psoriasis patients have a slightly higher risk of developing diabetes and cardiovascular disease, when compared with the general population, so an active lifestyle can become quite handy. Aerobic exercises, such as cycling, walking or dancing, are recommended ways to help to improve your general health. This will boost your cardiovascular system and help you to regulate your blood sugar level, two well-establish metrics of a good health.
Besides, it is well-establish that regular exercise can help with the stress management, which is a major trigger of psoriasis flares. Exercise also stimulates the production of endorphins (our body’s natural mood and energy regulators) and it helps combat the body’s stress hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline. Exercising regularly can benefit your immune system by providing a boost to the cells in your body that attack bacteria. So remember, staying active can help with your psoriasis management and have fun with it while you are it!
- Health Central. [Internet]. How to live well with psoriasis. Available at: http://www.healthcentral.com/slideshow/top-10-ways-to-live-with-psoriasis#slide=1. Accessed: 26/06/2018.
- Health. [Internet]. 10 tips for living better with Psoriatic Arthritis. Available at: http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20484082,00.html#how-to-cope-with-psoriatic-arthritis. Accessed: 26/06/2018.
- Harvard Health Publishing. [Internet] Benefits of exercise – reduces stress, anxiety, and helps fight depression. Available at: https://www.health.harvard.edu/press_releases/benefits-of-exercisereduces-stress-anxiety-and-helps-fight-depression . Accessed: 26/06/2018.
- Gloves in a bottle. [Internet]. Benefits of Exercise for Individuals with Psoriasis. Available at: https://www.glovesinabottle.com/blog/benefits-of-exercise-for-individuals-with-psoriasis.html . Accessed: 26/06/2018.
- webMD[Internet]. Exercises to Lower Your Blood Sugar. Available at: https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/features/exercise-lower-blood-sugar#1. Accessed: 26/06/2018.
- National Psoriasis Foundation. [Internet] 13 ways to stress less and live more. Available at: https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/13-ways-to-stress-less-live-more. Accessed: 06/07/2018.
- Medline Plus. [Internet] Exercise and Immunity. Available at: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007165.htm. Accessed: 25/07/2018