Are you having trouble sleeping? According to specialists people that suffer from psoriasis and psoriasis arthritis tend to have a higher level of sleep-related problems.
Some experts point out that having trouble sleeping can become a vicious cycle. Hurting and itching can lead to poor sleep, that in turn leads to fatigue, that can trigger more pain and itching, translating in even worse sleep. This can become a downwards spiral that could possible initiate a big problem.
Having sleeping troubles can usually translate in:
- Trouble getting to sleep
- Trouble staying asleep
- Daytime fatigue
- Restless leg syndrome (causes unpleasant or uncomfortable sensations in the legs and an irresistible urge to move them)
- Snoring, gasping and frequent waking, could possible indicate sleep apnea
Identifying the reason of your troubles with your sleep is just half of the problem.
Knowing how to get a good night sleep is the other half:
- Have a sleeping schedule. This is try to go to bed and wake up around the same time
- Make your room a sleeping chamber.
- Make it dark, so your brain doesn’t think the sun is rising when it is not.
- The bed is where you sleep, so you should avoid reading and watching TV in bed. Eliminate all noise and distractions.
- Go offline! Including turning off screens
- Make it comfortable. If possible adjust your bedroom temperature that makes you having a restless sleep
- Avoid stimulants such as caffeine before bedtime
If you have trouble sleeping you should consult with your doctor, you can eventually be referred to a specialist to conduct a sleep study.
Remember a good night sleep can improve your mood and can possibly help you manage your symptoms. So sleep tight!
- National psoriasis Foundation. [Internet].Can’t sleep? Psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis may be to blame.Available at: https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/cant-sleep-psoriasis-psoriatic-arthritis-may-be-blame Accessed: 1/09/2018.
- National Institute of Neurological disorders and Stroke. [Internet]. Restless Leg Syndrome Fact Sheet. Available at: https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/Patient-Caregiver-Education/Fact-Sheets/Restless-Legs-Syndrome-Fact-Sheet Accessed: 1/09/2018.
- National psoriasis Foundation. [Internet]. 6 tips for getting a better night’s sleep. Available at: https://www.psoriasis.org/blog/tips-better-nights-sleep Accessed: 4/07/2018.
- National psoriasis foundation. [Internet]. Tips for better sleep with psoriasis disease. Available at: https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/tips-for-better-sleep-with-psoriatic-disease Accessed: 2/07/2018.
- National psoriasis foundation. [Internet].Sleep better with psoriatic disease. Available at: https://www.psoriasis.org/advance/sleep-it. Accessed: 1/09/2018.