Although there is no evidence to support a specific “psoriasis diet”, people with psoriasis testify to feel better when they avoid foods that have shown to cause or increase inflammation such as processed foods, nightshade vegetables (e.g. eggplant, peppers, potatoes and tomatoes), fatty red meats and refined sugar) and instead consume foods that are known to reduce inflammation (e.g. foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon, albacore tuna, walnuts, flax, chia and hemp seeds, and fresh colorful fruits and green vegetables, such as spinach, carrots, and blueberries).
Antioxidants have a positive impact on the skin as protectors from oxidative stress caused by free radicals (unstable molecules that can damage healthy cells) which has been linked to skin inflammation in psoriasis. Therefore, antioxidant-rich fruits (e.g., goji berries, blueberries, strawberries, or raisins.) and vegetables (e.g., garlic, onions, broccoli, kale, collards, cabbage, and cauliflower) can become handy when suffering from psoriasis as people with psoriasis have been found to have an impaired antioxidant status.
- Everyday Health. [Internet]. Adopting these healthy habits can go a long way in reducing your risk for psoriasis complications and feeling better overall. Available at: https://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/psoriasis-treatment-management/live-better/. Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- National Psoriasis Foundation. [Internet]. How I live with psoriasis everyday. Available at: https://www.psoriasis.org/blog/beck-natural-tips. Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- Psoriasis Speaks. [Internet]. Diet, Exercise, and Stress. Available at: https://www.psoriasis.com/LIVING-WITH-PSORIASIS. Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- Heal with food. [Internet] 7 diet tips for psoriasis sufferers. Available at: https://www.healwithfood.org/psoriasis/diet.php. Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- Forefront Dermatology [Internet]. Diet Tips for Preventing Psoriasis Flare-Ups. Available at: https://forefrontdermatology.com/diet-tips-preventing-psoriasis-flare-ups/ Accessed: 27/06/2018.
- Paras Bliss. [Internet]. Diet Tips for Psoriasis. Available at: https://www.parashospitals.com/parasbliss/blogs/diet-tips-for-psoriasis/. Accessed: 27/06/2018.